Current Activities: Academic Entrepreneur
- Cofounding Director of Pandorum Technologies Pvt. Ltd., a start-up in Biotechnology-Nanotechnology area, incubated at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms, National Centre for Biological Sciences-Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bangalore 560065, India.
- EIPOD (European Molecular Biology Organization and Marie Curie Actions) fellow at European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Deutsches Elektronen Synchrotron, Hamburg 22607, Germany (http://www.embl-hamburg.de/). Field of research: Molecular basis of neuronal wiring, structural and developmental neurobiology.
Field of research:
Organogenesis, bio-materials, biophysics, crystallography, structure based macro-molecular design, protein biochemistry and computational biology.
2013-2015: Research Associate at Macromolecular Crystallography and Computational biology Lab, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore-560012, India.
2005-2012: PhD from Prof. S. Ramakumar’s Group, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
Selected publications and patents:
- Bhowmick, T*., Ghosh, S*., Dixit, K., Ganesan, V., Ramagopal, U. A., Dey, D., Sarma, S. P., Ramakumar, S & Nagaraja, V. Targeting Mycobacterium tuberculosis nucleoid-associated protein HU with structure-based inhibitors. Nature Communications, 5:4124 doi: 10.1038/ncomms5124 (2014).Ϯ[*Bhowmick, T. and Ghosh, S have contributed equally for this work]
- Bhowmick, T*., Kundu, P*., Swapna, G., Kumar, P., Nagaraja, V., Narayana, C., Capturing allosteric transition in a transactivator by SERS. J. Phys. Chem. B, 118 (20): 5322–5330 (2014).
- Patra, A. K., Bhowmick, T., Ramakumar, S., Nethaji, M. & Chakravarty, A. R. DNA cleavage in red light promoted by copper (II) complexes of alpha-amino acids and photoactive phenanthroline bases. Dalton Transactions,(48): 6966-6976 (2008)
- Patra, A. K., Bhowmick, T., Ramakumar, S. & Chakravarty, A. R. Metal-based netropsin mimics showing AT-selective DNA binding and DNA cleavage activity at red light. Inorganic Chemistry, 46 (22):9030-9032 (2007)
- . “MODULAR RESILIN-MIMETIC ELASTOMERIC PLATFORM”. Application No. 201641017212
- “A RATIONALE FOR STRUCTURE BASED TARGETING OF PROTEINS WITH HU-IHF FOLD WITH NOVEL INHIBITORS AND ITS DEMONSTRATION IN MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS” Application No. 2320/CHE/2014
Awards and Honours:
- 2016- “Bio Excellence Award” in Biopharma and Healthcare sector by the Department of IT-BT and S&T, Govt. of Karnataka, and Association of Biotech Led Enterprises.
- 2014- Small Business Innovation Research Initiative (SBIRI)-2013, under BIRAC, Dept. of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India, for the ‘proof of concept’ project on the development of a kinase responsive drug delivery matrix for oncological applications.
- 2013- Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)-IGNITE fellowship to attend IGNITE-2013, organized by The Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (CfEL), Judge Business School, Cambridge, UK.
- 2012- Biotechnology Ignition Grant (BIG)-2012, an early entrepreneurial grant scheme under BIRAC, Dept. of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India, for the ‘proof of concept’ project on the development of a biomimetic elastomeric platform towards tissue engineering and drug delivery.
- 2010- First prize at All India Biotechnology Entrepreneurship Student Team (BEST) Contest-2010, organized by Association of Biotechnology Led Enterprises (ABLE) and DBT.